If you find yourself in a life-threatening situation and there is no cellular service, you can still use your iPhone to call for help. With the new iPhone 14, there is a built-in Emergency SOS via Satellite feature.
How Emergency SOS via Satellite works
when you’re in a situation where you can’t make a normal phone call, you can send a text message to the appropriate emergency services number for your country. Your message will then be routed through the GEOS International Emergency Response Coordination Center (IERCC).
The IERCC will then coordinate with the nearest rescue assets, whether that be ground, air, or sea. They’ll also provide your location to first responders so they can find you as quickly as possible.
Emergency SOS via satellite is a life-saving tool that everyone should know about.
How to use Emergency SOS via Satellite on iphone14
If you find yourself in an emergency situation without cell service, you can still use your iPhone to call for help. With the new iPhone 14, you can now use Emergency SOS via satellite. Here’s how:
- Open the Settings app on your iPhone 14.
- Tap Emergency SOS.
- Turn on the switch next to Call with Side Button.
- Press and hold the side button and one of the volume buttons at the same time until the Emergency SOS slider appears.
- Drag the Emergency SOS slider to call emergency services.
- If you’re in an area with no cellular coverage, your iPhone will automatically switch to satellite mode and place the call over a satellite network.
- Once your call is connected, emergency services will be able to locate you using your GPS coordinates.
Satellite and privacy emergency SOS
Texting Emergency SOS via satellite will send encrypted messages. These messages will be decrypted and sent to Apple for the appropriate emergency service dispatcher or emergency relay center. To improve their services and comply with applicable laws, emergency service centers and relay providers may retain your messages.
When you use Emergency SOS via Satellite, your location will be shared by Apple and its partners to help you send your texts to local emergency service organizations.
In conclusion,the iPhone 14 is equipped with a new emergency SOS via satellite feature. This is a great addition for those who are often out of cellphone range or in areas with bad reception. In the event of an emergency, simply hold down the side button and volume up button simultaneously and your phone will automatically call emergency services.